WiseOwl58
WiseOwl58, Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced real estate lawyer and real estate broker.
62735101

I red a contractor after fighting the Board of directors

Customer Question

I hired a contractor after fighting the Board of directors for Madison Town Center for 5 years and the Association Member came and threatened the contractor with the police and my son's condo is left vunerable. Please help
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  WiseOwl58 replied 9 months ago.

I will be happy to help. Can you tell me did the contractor leave when the police came? Did the contractor leave the condo unlocked and open? If that is the case, it seems that the contractor and the HOA have liability in that situation, and you have a claim against them for any damages that were sustained.

Please rate 4 or 5 and close out the question. Good luck to you. I wish you all the best.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I was home while the contractors were working outside and an Association member came down and told the contractors that they had no right to be working on the outside of my son's condo because "it belongs to us" so they loaded their van and lett. My son attempted to contact our representatives for this village and has not been contacted. I called the Police and they assured me that if I filled out a report at City Hall the police would not allow her to have any effect on what they were doing. The question I have for you now is how can we get an audit of the books since it is my belief that our association dues are being used to line the pockets of Some or all the Board Members. Thank you, ***** *****

Neil:

As a member of the HOA, you or your son, as the case may be, has the right to demand an audit of the books of the HOA, and to audit the sources and uses of the funds. You have the right to see how your HOA dues are being spent and to have an accounting of every dollar of dues you have paid on that property. You must make a motion before the board to demand such accounting, and they are required to give you the accounting within 30 days under applicable Alabama law.

Now, Neil, please rate 4 or 5 and close out the question. Good luck to you. I wish you all the best.

Expert:  WiseOwl58 replied 8 months ago.