Alex Esquire
Alex Esquire, Attorney at Law
Experience:  Experienced Licensed Attorney / Real Estate Law Mentor

I am vacating my rental unit and the landlord wants access

Customer Question

I am vacating my rental unit and the landlord wants access to take photos of the unit to post online. I am not comfortable having pictures my personal possessions posted online- is he allowed to do this?
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?
Customer: NJ
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: no, if I did I wouldn't be researching online, lol
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: That he will let himself in to take the pics with his key regardless of my feelings and he has given me notice that it is being done, so have the place tidy. Since I am in the midst of packing that is not easily done.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Alex Esquire replied 3 months ago.

Hello. My name is ***** *****

Thank you for your question.

I will be happy to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Do you have a written lease?

When does your lease ends?

Does your lease address this type of situation?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I have a lease, lease ends 7/31, lease states the landlord has the right to show the unit to potential renters with advance notice. It does not state pictures will be taken while I am there and posted on the Internet for possible renters to review

Thank you for your follow up.

Generally, unfortunately, if the lease states that the owner has the right to show the unit to potential tenants prior to the expiration of the lease, that would mean that the landlord also has the right to take photos of the rental and use such photos for the purposes of finding new tenants, however, the tenant has the right to cover any of tenant's belongings, during the time the photos are taken.

I wish you the best of luck!

Please let me know if you have any related follow up questions?
If not, please positively rate and accept my answer, so I can be compensated for my work.
Thank you.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.