LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have 30 years legal experience. Additionally, in CA I held a Real Estate Broker's license.

Louisville ) The home I was renting from ex-wife was

Customer Question

Louisville Ky) The home I was renting from ex-wife was foreclosed because she did not make mortgage payments. House was sold and new owner wants me out in 7 days but may let me stay for 30 to yet undetermined rent. Have a feeling he is going to gouge me. Do I have any say about rent for the 30 days or do I need to find a local lawyer. There was no lease on the house?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  LawTalk replied 2 months ago.

Good afternoon,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

Unfortunately, even if you can work out a deal with the new owner to rent the home for a month, you have no control over the rent that they want to charge.

I presume that your ex never gave you written notice of the need to vacate the property and you actually have a valid lawsuit against her for breach of contract (verbal rental agreement). You can sue her for the expenses of moving as part of the lawsuit.

I understand that you may be disappointed by the Answer you received, as it was not particularly favorable to your situation. Had I been able to provide an Answer which might have given you a successful legal outcome, it would have been my pleasure to do so.

If you have additional questions, you may of course reply back to me and I will be happy to continue to assist you further until your questions have been answered to your satisfaction.

Would you please take a moment to positively rate my service to you based on the understanding of the law I provided by clicking on the rating stars---three stars or more. It is that easy. That is the way I am compensated for having helped you.

Thank you in advance. I wish you the best in your future,

Expert:  LawTalk replied 2 months ago.

Good afternoon,

This seems like a very crucial matter for you, and your questions and issues suggest that an in-depth conversation might best suit your needs. If you are interested, for a very nominal charge I can offer you a private phone conference as opposed to continuing in this question and answer thread which is searchable and viewable by the public.

Please know that I answered your question in good faith, and with the expectation that you would act similarly and rate my service to you. If I have already provided you with the information you asked for and you have no additional questions, would you please now rate my service to you so I can be compensated for assisting you?

Thanks in advance,