Barrister, Lawyer
Experience:  15 years real estate, Realtor. Landlord 26 years
19958803

We are selling a 1/2 lot with a building storage building on

Customer Question

We are selling a 1/2 lot with a building storage building on the property
in Harris County, Texas.
The property is free and clear of liens.
The sale will be a cash sale.
What forms are required from the owner?
What is required from the buyer?
Is it required that the current owner pay taxes due to date of sale?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 4 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question.

.

If the buyer is not going through a bank, then there just needs to be a signed purchase contract between seller and buyer stating the property description, price, and any terms.

.

Then the owner will need to have a deed prepared by a local real estate attorney or title/closing company for the property to transfer it from them as the Grantor over to the buyer as the Grantee.

.

Any taxes that are due are normally prorated up to the date of closing with the seller being liable for any taxes up to the point that the closing occurs. Any taxes that accrue later are the responsibility of the buyer. So if it is a calendar tax year, seller is liable for half the year and buyer for half the year if the property is sold July 1.

.

But any delinquent taxes need to be paid so that the title can be transferred clear of any liens.

.

Buyer should also pay a title company to run a title search to make sure that the title is clear and there are no outstanding liens or mortgages or other encumbrances on it like tax liens, judgment liens, child support liens, etc.

.

And seller should require certified funds from a bank for the purchase price and not take a personal check.

.

As an aside, I used to be a closing attorney for 4 different lenders...

.

.

thanks

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
This does answer my questions.
Thank you

You are very welcome. Glad to help any time..

.

If you feel your original question and any related follow ups have been answered, I would very much appreciate a positive rating on the answer I have provided as that is the only way I receive credit for my work. If you have a new question the JustAnswer folks require that you start a new question page, but you can request me by putting "For Barrister" in the caption and they will get it to me.

.

.

thanks much