Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney
Experience:  Began practicing law in 1992
11068102

Can I sue someone in small claims court, if we own property

Customer Question

can I sue someone in small claims court, if we own property in both of our names and the one owner has not paid there share of the property taxes for twenty years.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 4 months ago.

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Also, I can only answer the questions you specifically ask and based on the facts that you give so please be sure that you ask the questions you want to ask and provide all necessary facts. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

What do you want the judge to do?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
have the other owner of this property to pay me half of the taxes that have been paid on this property

You can try it in Texas Small Claims COurt so long as it is under $10k. However, many JPs refuse to hear these case and will require you to bump it up to County Court at Law or District Court.

I don't think you have to do that but they apparently tell the JPs at the class that they go to that they shouldn't hear these types of cases.