Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Qualified attorney in private practice including business, family, criminal, and real estate issues.

I own a home next to the Metra rail line in Chicago. Our

Customer Question

I own a home next to the Metra rail line in Chicago. Our home foundation is crumbling, the concrete cracking. We know it is related to the train , how do we go about filing a claim for repair cost ?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Ely replied 3 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

I am sorry to hear about this situation.

1) First, you have to file an administrative claim. See HERE.

2) The claim will be evaluated and a decision made. If you disagree with the decision, you can appeal it to the Court.

3) In Court, you would have to prove that the damage is due to gross negligence or malicious action in order to win, since one would be pursuing a government entity (i.e. CTA).

I hope this helps and clarifies. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how experts get credit for our time. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars (or failing to submit the rating) does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith with a positive rating.