Maverick, Lawyer
Experience:  20 years professional experience

I own rental income property with my sister and I have not

Customer Question

I own rental income property with my sister and I have not obtained any income. What are my legal rights?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Maverick replied 3 months ago.

Welcome to Just Answer (“JA”)! My name is Maverick. (Here) is my profile.

Note: (1) If you want legal advice, consult with a local attorney before acting or deciding not to act; information given here is for educational purposes only; (2) Most questions are answered within the hour; however, if I am not signed on, please allow up to 24 hours; and (3) Please assign a feedback rating so JA will compensate me. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms and to JA’s other site disclaimers.

Expert:  Maverick replied 3 months ago.

Since each co-tenant has an equal right to possess the co-tenancy, exclusive possession by one co-tenant is generally valid. This means that it is possible that your sister could rent out the property and keep all the rent. This can be the case if she is in exclusive possession of the property because you voluntarily allowed her to possess the property alone.

However, if she ousted you from the property, then she must pay 1/2 the the fair market rental value for the property (assuming it is a 50-50 tenancy) for the duration of time that she remained on the property or leased it out as a result of the ouster. See Pico v. Columbet, 12 Cal. 414 (1859).