Barrister, Lawyer
Experience:  16 years real estate, Realtor. Landlord 26 years
19958803

My nephew wants to give my wife and I a house to use

Customer Question

My nephew wants to give my wife and I a house to use for our remaining life.
We worry that on his demise, his heirs will want to evict us and sell the house.
What would be the best way for my nephew to assure that we can remain in the house after his demise?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 9 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question.

Nephew would need to give you a "life estate" by deed from him as the grantor over to you and wife as the grantees. This would allow you to use the house for the rest of your lives and then upon the last one of you to pass, the house would then come back to him or his estate to descend according to his will.

.

He can contact a local real estate attorney or probably even a title or closing company to have them draft up the deed giving you and wife the life estate so you wouldn't have to worry about his heirs trying to force you out of the property if he should pass.

.

thanks