Barrister, Lawyer
Experience:  15 years real estate, Realtor. Landlord 26 years
19958803

My mother passed away two years ago and left property my

Customer Question

My mother passed away two years ago and left property my brother's name is ***** ***** deed is he the owner of the property
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 4 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question.

.

If brother's name is ***** ***** one on the deed then he owns it. Or it was on it with mother as "joint tenants" then when she passed, he would become the sole owner of the property.

.

If he was deeded the property prior to mother's death, then that property wouldn't be an asset of her estate so as to be controlled by her will.

.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

.

.

thanks

I am sorry but I do not participate in the phone call program for the site and limit my interaction with customers only to the website. I like to have time to think about a customer’s question and research it so I can provide the best answer possible.

.

However, if you wish to have a phone call with an attorney, you can post a request for "additional services" and your request will post to other experts that do offer this service. When another attorney accepts your request you will get additional instructions.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thank you but I was wondering if the house was paid for and it only taxes due on the house

You are very welcome. There is no way for me to tell you whether there is a mortgage on it or not from where I am sitting as this is strictly local information. You could check the local land records office based on the address and his name and see if there was any unreleased mortgage on the property. It won't tell you how much is left owing on the mortgage, but it will tell you how much it originally was.

.

If you feel your original question and any related follow ups have been answered, I would very much appreciate a positive rating on the answer I have provided so I receive credit for my work. If you have a new question the JustAnswer folks require that you start a new question page, but you can request me by putting "For Barrister" in the caption and they will get it to me.

.

thanks