Maverick
Maverick, Lawyer
Experience:  20 years professional experience
16823287

We sold a house on a contract fr deed.payment was to be made

Customer Question

We sold a house on a contract fr deed.payment was to be made every thirty days with a 5day grace period.my son wants the house back according to contract 1 can take backhouse back after the 35 days.we paid an attnory500.00 to see that our interests are looked after.our attnory gave the other partys attnorney more time. the other parties attnory sent my son a nasty letter demanding this mess get cleaned up .my son contacted his attorney and was informed he needed to comeup with 10,000.00 cash for him to continue WHAT TO DUE
kelton feickert
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Maverick replied 8 months ago.

Welcome to Just Answer (“JA”)! My name is Maverick.

Note: (1) If you want legal advice, consult with a local attorney before acting or deciding not to act; information given here is for educational purposes only; (2) Most questions are answered within the hour; however, if I am not signed on, please allow up to 24 hours; and (3) Please assign a feedback rating so JA will compensate me. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms and to JA’s other site disclaimers. [Proof that you are in good hands].

Expert:  Maverick replied 8 months ago.

Kelton:

Answer: If your contract states that after a non payment past the 5 day cure date, the other party is considered to be in default and you can take the house back, then your son should be able to do that. The issue then becomes, HOW can he do that. More than likely the reason the lawyer is asking for $10,000 is so he can cover his fees to file a lawsuit to get a foreclosure judgment. However, there may be a non-judicial foreclosure clause in the contract that allows for a cheaper way to get the house back.