RealEstateAnswer, Lawyer
Experience:  9+ years in handling Leases, Landlord-Tenant, Foreclosures,Mortgages, and Eviction cases

I allowed a couple to stay with me using an upstairs

Customer Question

I allowed a couple to stay with me using an upstairs bedroom. They do not pay rent, but do pay for food and use of a TV. When caught sneaking liquor into the house several times, I told them they have to leave. Do I have to evict them?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  RealEstateAnswer replied 3 months ago.

Good afternoon. Was there a rule in place that they could not do this?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I had put it in writing along with the amount needed per month for groceries and use of the TV/internet.

Thank you. I am sorry to say but you do need to go through the eviction process. However, if you do have an agreement in writing you first need to give them a notice to cure. In this case, not bring alcohol and to pay the agreed upon amount for groceries. If they fail to do so, they can then proceed and evict them through the court. You can not use self help to get them out and lock them out and if the police are called, this will be viewed as a civil issue, not criminal, so they will not be able to get involved.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Can I start charging rent?

Yes, but you would need to give them notice

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
How much notice?
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Further, they claimed to a third party what they paid for food was actually "rent". With that claim, can I hold them responsible for unpaid rent based upon their own statements?

You would want to give them at least a 30 day notice, if you are going to change the terms and conditions of them living there and now want to charge rent.

You can go after them for any money which was agreed to which they did not pay and that they owe.

Expert:  RealEstateAnswer replied 2 months ago.

I just wanted to follow up and see if there is anything else I can answer or clarify?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
They left voluntarily, but did not take all of their belongings. Do I have to store them for awhile?

Great to hear back from you. I am happy to answer your follow up question but just kindly ask that you rate my help at the top at this time, so the site will give me credit for my answer. Thank you for understanding.