Loren, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years of real estate practice experience.
17897874

I am renting out my single family home and the couple who

Customer Question

I am renting out my single family home and the couple who will be moving in this coming Wednesday are deaf. They have requested that we install smoke detectors and a doorbell for hearing impaired people. I know we are required to install the smoke detector in the bedroom they will sleep in, and will happily do so, but I'm wondering about the doorbell. The only thing I can find online is that we are required to allow them to install one, and that they would have to remove it and restore the house to the way it was before when they move out. I just want to double check this before I tell them that we won't pay for the doorbell.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Loren replied 4 months ago.

Good afternoon. I am Loren, a licensed attorney, and I look forward to assisting you.

There is no law which states that you have to install a doorbell for the hearing impaired. If you wish, you can have one installed at their expense, if they will agree. Otherwise, it is their responsibility, if they want one.

You are correct that they would have to restore the property to its original condition when the lease ends.

Expert:  Loren replied 4 months ago.

If you have no further questions, and have not yet done so, please remember to leave a favorable rating (5 stars) so that I am credited by JustAnswer for assisting you. A bonus is not required, but is always appreciated.