Barrister, Lawyer
Experience:  15 years real estate, Realtor. Landlord 26 years
19958803

Sued neighor for $100 eight months later. We share a wooden

Customer Question

Sued neighor for $100 eight months later. We share a wooden between our homes. He did everything getting bids, due to fact , pool being installed too. I find funny when we went out of state, fence fall. Lol. However we went to court on yesterday, judge rules in his favor. He gave me a bid of Liike $1200 plus. He courtier sues $300 some eight months later, and $75 which was not me mention in original bid we agreed on. I had six letters from neighbors who know how I go out of my way to be best neighbor I can be to and for than. I was told that was irrelevant to the case. I told her their dog bit my 14 year old daughter. Did I run seeking a lawyer, no, trying to live by what momma and church. What would be your cost to represent me in this case?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 4 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply,but rest assured, I am working on your question.

.

If you are looking to hire an attorney to represent you, JustAnswer is not a law firm and doesn't provide legal representation. You would have to contact a local real estate or civil litigation attorney to legally represent you in court if you choose to appeal.

.

The attorneys here on the site are only allowed to answer legal questions and provide legal information...not represent customers from the site.

.

Unfortunately, I am not allowed to represent customers from the site or recommend anyone personally under my agreement with JustAnswer. However, these are a couple sites that we attorneys actually use if we need foreign counsel in a state where we aren't licensed. Further, customers have consistently reported good results with these sites:

.

www.martindale.com

.

www.lawyers.com

.

They screen their attorneys based on geographic location, area of practice, time in practice,cost and customer reviews.

.

But if this is a situation where the neighbor is suing you over a shared boundary fence, there is no established law in TX that states that both parties are equally liable for its replacement. This is left up to local rules and ordinances if the city/county chooses to address it. So if the judge ruled against you, then they must have felt that since you both benefited, you should both share the cost. This is a judgment call, not something that can be proven right or wrong as a matter of law. With that said, in an appeal, there has to be some issue of fact or law that was decided incorrectly, and it might be hard to have an appeal court override a judge's equitable decision because they would have to decide that the judge was completely wrong.

.

With all that said, hiring an attorney to represent you is going to cost well over what the judgment was against you because no attorney is going to take a case like this for less than $1500-2,000 and there is no guarantee of an outcome in your favor. Considering that, you could pay the attorney $2,000, lose, and still have to pay the judgment against you...

.

If it were me, I would just bite the bullet and pay the judgment rather than throw good money after bad.

.

.

thanks