Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney
Experience:  Began practicing law in 1992

I was out of town when part of my rent payment did not clear

Customer Question

I was out of town when part of my rent payment did not clear and my landlord gave me a 3-day notice to pay or quit. I did not know about it until I returned and tried to pay rent at the leasing office and they gave me an attorney's phone number. I have tried all week to get someone from that office to contact me. I finally was emailed by one and an unlawful detainer was filed last Friday. I don't want this to negatively affect my credit and all I want to do it pay the balance of July's rent. What can I do?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 3 months ago.

Unfortunately, they have the right to file the unlawful detainer and the lawyer is almost certainly not going to discuss it with you at this point unless you are prepared to pay penalties, his attorney's fees, etc.

The best solution is to hire a local lawyer to contact them for you. They may be able to get them to just accept the payment when you explain all of the issues that were involved. You are taking a bit of a chance because they may just insist on going through with the hearing anyway but usually they will listen to another lawyer and be more amenable to resolving the case if they think you have a lawyer ready to go to court to defend you.

Other than that if they aren't willing to talk, and it sounds like they aren't, all you can do is get ready to be served and for the hearing.

If your question has been answered then I'd offer my best wishes to you and ask that you please not forget to leave a Positive Rating so I receive credit for my work.

Of course, please feel free to ask any follow up questions in this thread. I want to be sure that all of your questions are answered. In addition, once you issue your Positive Rating the question will lock open and no longer time out so you can come back to it anytime in the future if you think of any follow ups.