KimberlyLaw
KimberlyLaw, Attorney and Real Estate Broker
Experience:  13 years of experience in real estate law: Foreclosures, Landlord-Tenant, Condo/Coop, Property Law, Deeds, Purchases/Sales, Estates.
8989662

I fell on the property i live at. I had asked the land lord

Customer Question

I fell on the property i live at. I had asked the land lord before verbally and in a written notice to level out the grass bumps because it was a hazzard. She never responded to my request. About the 27 of june i fell on the grass because i tripped over one of the bumps at night. There is no lighting here at nightatSo that made it even harder for to see. I ended up falling and hitting my head on a metal chair she has here and hurt my neck with the fall. I havent had to pay out of pocket for medical but ive missed work and my work performance has significantly decreased. I have had problems since. I habe been on and oit of the hospital, taken xrays and gotten medications and equipmemt to help with the pain seeing as i dont like taking narcotics. So im pretty much in pain all the time. I have a back injury already and the fall has added to the pain and have given me new locations of pain. I have written to lawyers and have gotten no response. Im not sure whay to do i have taken pictures of my injuries and have been in tje emergency room seen my primary doctor and soon will.be going to physical therapy. Is this sound like something i should take to a lawyer or should i just deal with all this stuff i have to go through now because of the fall and just leave it alone. Im so upset about the whole thing i dont evem want to live here any more.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  KimberlyLaw replied 4 months ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am an attorney. I am working on answering your question and will be right back.

Thanks

Kim

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Ok

Sorry to hear about your fall. You are correct that the landlord has the obligation to have lighting outside to make it safe, and to fix an issues with the lawn that cause it to be a safety hazard. Your complaint, followed by the landlord's inaction, and then your fall, makes it clear that the landlord is at fault here.

Now, when it comes to a law suit for injuries specifically, you wouldn't meet the threshhold for such a case, because you would have to show serious permanent injury. It doesn't sound like your injuries rise to the level of what the courts will expect. That doesn't mean you can't sue though. It sounds like you have a case against your landlord as a tenant, so you could go to landlord tenant court and try to see if you can be reimbursed some of your rent in exchange for having to deal with this issue. You also might be able to get lower rent going forward.

That is something you can file in small claims court without a lawyer.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks

Kim