Irwin Law
Irwin Law, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer- Broker 30+years - foreclosure, short sale, liens, title attorney.

I live next to a golf course driving range. There is no

Customer Question

I live next to a golf course driving range. There is no screen to protect my property or my family when I am outside. Last year I have requested the golf course manager to place a screen separating our property. I have received no answer. What are my options and is the golf course required to place a screen?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Irwin Law replied 3 months ago.

The golf course is not legally required to provide a screen. The ordinary law of negligence would apply to an injury caused by a golf ball driven from the range onto your property. Golf course operators are required to use ordinary care in the design of their business so as to prevent (but not absolutely insurer against) a stray ball incident. .If the range across the street from your house is such that balls are exiting regularly, then a court might easily find liability for the failure to do so if injury results. It is a fact intensive situation. I happen to be living across the street from a golf course for nearly 40 years. Over the years I found many golf balls in my front yard, but never had damage to my car, my house or a member of my family. A few years ago the club redesigned the course and the stray balls have pretty much stopped. They even installed a very high screen, so they're taking extreme steps to avoid any problems in that regard.