J. Warren
J. Warren, Lawyer
Experience:  Experience in residential real estate and commercial leases.
64316804

My father signed a contract to live at Eskaton Village

Customer Question

My father signed a contract to live at Eskaton Village Carmichael. He passed away and we are still required to pay the $4,500 monthly fee while they try to sell his cottage there. Is there any point we can get out of this contract if it doesn't sell soon or at least keep the remainder of the estate from being affected? We've lowered the price twice. It's now listed for $ 129,000. My dad's lawyer told us we cannot settle the estate until it sells.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  J. Warren replied 4 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today! It will take me just a few minutes to type a response to your question. Thanks for your patience!

My condolences on the loss of your Father. Unfortunately, I would have to agree with your Father's attorney. You can breach the contract but then the estate would be subject to a lawsuit for the breach and would likely result in further delay of the settlement of the estate.

It would be nice if you could rely on the compassion of the village for at least a reduction of monthly fee or suspend the payment for a certain amount of time. Legally they do not have to do this as you know and I realize that is frustrating along with seeing the estate reduced.

All my best and encouragement. Thank you for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which truthfully addresses your question. Please note: If I tell you simply what you wish to hear, this would be unfair to you. I need to be honest with you and sometimes this means providing information that is not optimal. Negative ratings are reserved for experts who are rude or for erroneous information. Please rate me on the quality of my information; do not punish me for my honesty. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how experts get credit for our time.

Hello again. This is a courtesy check in to see if you needed anything else in regards ***** ***** question because you never responded or replied positively. Pressing a positive rating will not cost any additional money - it is simply the trigger used by Just Answer to pay me for my time (pressing the middle star or the fourth or fifth star on the right are all positive rating buttons). I am simply touching base. Let me know. Thanks!