WiseOwl58
WiseOwl58, Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced real estate lawyer and real estate broker.
62735101

I have relocated to Sarasota, Fl. Two years ago. Bought an

Customer Question

Hello! I have relocated to Sarasota, Fl. Two years ago. Bought an old house that needed a lot of work. My brother came to visit me, and we demolished an old carport, and built a new one, having NO IDEA, that we need a permit to rebuild the delapitated one. Somebody must have reported us, because the work was done, and he went back to AZ., when one day, tge inspector came to my door, put Stop work order, nobody was here doing any work - to be stopped, and now, they want me to do a reconstructing they want. I'm a 70 yr. old lady, and have nobody to do this, nor do i have the money to do it, (my brother is 74y.o.), and we are not dumbies, we lived in Minnesota most our lives, and did not need permits for demolishing something old, and replacing it with new, therefore, improving the neighborhood. Also, there are 3 properties on my block, that we went by, when making a decision to do it like they did. Why am i being punished, when the carport has greatly improved my house, as well as our street? And what, if anything can I do to defend myself, pay the penalties, and be left alone?
Thanking you in advance, VP in Sarasota
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  WiseOwl58 replied 4 months ago.

I suggest you ask the planning department to hold a hearing on the matter, and they are required to schedule it before an impartial arbitrator and you come in and tell your story. They will not likely rule against you and you will be able to work out a solution, probably nothing further than paying the $30 after the fact fee that you have paid.

Start with the coffee time offered by the Building Department and they will work along to help you resolve this.

http://www.sarasotagov.com/NDS/Building/Building_Coffeetime.htm

Please rate 4 or 5 and close out the question. Good luck to you. I wish you all the best.

The way this site works is please rate the answer so that I get credit for my work.

Now, please rate 4 or 5 and close out the question. Good luck to you. I wish you all the best.

Thank you.

Thank you.