J. Warren
J. Warren, Lawyer
Experience:  Experience in residential real estate and commercial leases.
64316804

My husband and I had electrical lines put underground and

Customer Question

My husband and I had electrical lines put underground and under a road to bring elictrical service from our vacation cottage to our garage. We were informed by the Town Board that this was a violation of a right of way of the town. We did not know this. A private contractor did the work. Now we are being brought to court to remove the electric wires. We do have a permit but the Board is dismissing it as it does not specifically say it is a permit to go under ground of a town road. We do not have an attorney. The Board's attorney said the Judge will side with the Board. Is there anything we can do?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  J. Warren replied 4 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today! I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only. It will take me just a few minutes to type a response to your question. Thanks for your patience!

I am very sorry you are dealing with this situation. Unfortunately, the Board's attorney is likely correct. However, you do not know how a Judge will decide. All that a party to a hearing can do is present their side of the case. Great deference is given to township right of ways, however, the party will suffer hardship in having to remove the line and what is the real harm to the township at this point. In addition, the argument can be that you did have a permit, of course the Board is dismissing this but that does not mean the Judge will dismiss that fact.

All my best and encouragement. Thank you for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which truthfully addresses your question. Please note: If I tell you simply what you wish to hear, this would be unfair to you. I need to be honest with you and sometimes this means providing information that is not optimal. Negative ratings are reserved for experts who are rude or for erroneous information. Please rate me on the quality of my information; do not punish me for my honesty. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how experts get credit for our time.

Hello again. This is a courtesy check in to see if you needed anything else in regards ***** ***** question because you never responded or replied positively. Pressing a positive rating will not cost any additional money - it is simply the trigger used by Just Answer to pay me for my time (pressing the middle star or the fourth or fifth star on the right are all positive rating buttons). I am simply touching base. Let me know. Thanks!