Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney
Experience:  Began practicing law in 1992
11068102

We inherited acreage that is land locked. What are our

Customer Question

We inherited acreage that is land locked. What are our rights to accesses our property?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 4 months ago.

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Also, I can only answer the questions you specifically ask and based on the facts that you give so please be sure that you ask the questions you want to ask and provide all necessary facts. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

As a general rule, you and the other heirs can sue one of the property owners near you for access to a road, etc. I say as a general rule because there are some exceptions.

For instance, if the people you inherited the property from sold off the property and created the landlocked situation then that can cause you problems suing to get access. Your lawyer will discuss any situations that apply to your case but it is unlikely any apply. In Texas, the presumption is that landlocked property has the right to sue and obtain an easement to allow access.

You do have to pay the landowner who ends up providing the access though. You would have to pay the fair market value of whatever you receive.

You can find a lawyer to assist you by going to www.lawyers.com and in the section for Area of Practice enter Civil Litigation or Real Estate litigation. Either of those will have the skill set you need.

If your question has been answered then I'd offer my best wishes to you and ask that you please not forget to leave a Positive Rating so I receive credit for my work.

Of course, please feel free to ask any follow up questions in this thread. I want to be sure that all of your questions are answered. In addition, once you issue your Positive Rating the question will lock open and no longer time out so you can come back to it anytime in the future if you think of any follow ups.