Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  17 years of legal experience including real estate law.
4460311

I have non profit in Hawaii giving free yoga classes.

Customer Question

I have non profit in Hawaii giving free yoga classes. Planing to buy the house that we are renting for yoga retreat and education center. Do we my family and kids need to move out or we can still live in portion of the house? We are planing to get mortgage on the nonprofit name and close the deal for the non profit. And second question can we buy the house on our name and then donate it to the non profit? Which one is better if there is any difference legally? So mine main question is can the family of the president of the non profit live in yoga ashram property? Thank you! Regards, Rayna
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Attyadvisor replied 6 months ago.

Welcome Reyna and thank you for your question. The only issue with running a business form your home is whether the zoning permits the property to be used for a business or only as residential. Do you know the zoning designation of the house you are planning to purchase? If it allows a mixed use you would be able to use it for the mixed use purposes. If not there is a process called a variance which allows you to request a change in the zoning to accommodate the type of use that you are seeking.

So mine main question is can the family of the president of the non profit live in yoga ashram property? Thank you! Regards, Rayna The answer would be yes if the zoning and land laws permit this.