Barrister, Lawyer
Experience:  15 years real estate, Realtor. Landlord 26 years
19958803

We sold our home in oregon. All inspections and appraisal

Customer Question

We sold our home in oregon. All inspections and appraisal was completed. All repairs were completed and paid for, we spent over 22,000 on repairs, which included nearly 5 grand on the well. It passed the final inspection on June 29th. Closing papers were signed and it recorded on July 1st. Buyers moved in on July 2nd. They didn't have water. (Water was flowing just fine during the clean up and repairs).
Note - we have not lived there for 4 years. It's been rented since we moved. Tenants never complained about no water, or we would have disclosed that.
Now the buyers agent says we have to pay for the repairs. They think there is leak or broken pipe from the well to the house. Well is functioning fine.
Help! Do we need to worry about this or obtain an attorney, which just adds to the cost of selling this house?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 4 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question.

.

.

As long as you had no idea about any water problems, or did and disclosed them, then when the buyer took final possession then they did so with the property in its "as is" condition unless you gave them some type of written home warranty.

.

So if it was just an odd coincidence that the water problem happened after the well was repaired, then that is not your problem to deal with.

.

If I had to make a guess, then I would bet that it is possible the increased water flow from the repaired well might have aggravated any existing problems with the line to the house.

.

But since everything was functioning fine at closing, as long as you had no knowledge of any issues, then the buyer is just in a tough position here as this would be their problem to deal with.

.

So at this point, the buyer would have to spend several thousand on an attorney up front with no guarantee of winning. When they consider that, they will likely just make the repairs themselves and bite the bullet and incur the expense themselves..

.

.

thanks

That is assuming that there is nothing that they can find and no evidence that you had anything to do with the water problem..

.

.

thanks