Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  17 years of legal experience including real estate law.

I'm in California. I was on the lease with another person

Customer Question

Hi, I'm in California. I was on the lease with another person for a house we had been renting for the past 3 years. We gave our 30 days notice when the lease was up and vacated the property on June 30 of this year. My understanding is that the deposit has to be returned within 21 days. I was just told by the property management that since the keys to the house weren't returned the day we moved out they won't be returning the security deposit within the 21 days. I have been depending on the security deposit to cover the expenses of moving. The deposit was $3400. Is there anything I can do?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 3 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question.

When did you return the keys to the property?