Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  17 years of legal experience including real estate law.
4460311

I am having a home built through a company called Reunion

Customer Question

I am having a home built through a company called Reunion Homes (Colorado). It is not a custom home. The initial contract closing date was April 30th 2015 with a verbal that june 30th would not be an issue to meet as my wife was giving birth the end of june as well as having to move out of the home we were renting due to sale. This was all expressed at the pre-construction meeting.
Long story short, permits were finally pulled mid feb to start. 3 other homes had walls before ours had even started (We were first to precon and were told ours would be handled first.) They allowed our basement to be filled with snow and left it to melt, which it never did so i shoveled it out. finally caught up with framing and had first framing inspection (5-8-2016) that failed. The builder had in the plans to have #30 trusses and, being above elevation 7000 they were supposed to be #40 trusses, which is common knowledge in Colorado. This was not communicated until 3 weeks after framing inspection after repeatedly asking why drywall hadn't been completed within two weeks as stated by the building supervisor. After asking what the issue was and corrective action, i was again ignored for several weeks until I got the answer that the new framing inspection would be completed next week (week of the 12th of june) Following up again lead to ignored calls and emails. By this time i had to move my pregnant wife and son to an apartment, as i had only two more weeks in my rental home. again, no communication on the issue and when solution is in view. here it is the 19th, and we are finding out thorough the regional building inspectors, that homes other than ours, supposed to close after ours and started after ours are close to moving forward, where as our home has not been touched.
The builder has corn holed us as now home prices for equivalent of what we are looking for have skyrocketed to an increase of 30-50k I had to move all my belongings into a storage unit, relocated my family to an apartment 1/4 the size of the home we had. and now the school year is quickly approaching, and as of today, there is no answer on timeline when framing will be passed. We still want the home, as it took us years to figure out what we wanted and waiting for the perfect lot. However, i feel that the builder should compensate us. Good faith would mean to me proper communication. we do not even have a clue as to timelines regarding anytime we can move forward with the home. My son starts school soon, we arent even in the same district that he has a reserved spot for. So now we will have to take him to school every day in order to keep his spot. due to the financial hardship, stress and total scrambling of our day to day lives, is there anything we can do legally in terms of reimbursement. There is no clause to timeline of delivery of home other than April 30th and that events can occur. But if those events are not communicated, how am i supposed to know whats going on?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 4 months ago.

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Also, I can only answer the questions you specifically ask and based on the facts that you give so please be sure that you ask the questions you want to ask and provide all necessary facts. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

You likely will still have a cause of action but, of course, it isn't as strong as it would have been with some type of deadline on building the house.

Any idea as to why your home is being neglected when others are being completed?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Attached is the contract stating a close date of the home in April 30th 2016. The contract was created and signed in October of 2015. There have beensoe changes, but the meat and potatoes are there. The other homes were moving forward smoothly until we addressed them in april about how the other homes were moving and ours had stalled. The only answer i got is that the ball was dropped and they adjusted the work toward our home. Then the framing inspection failed due to the trusses, which regional building identified were incorrect on the plans. and presently, a home that is third in line is nearing completion that had the same issues with the trusses that our home did. yet ours has been sitting stagnant for 2 months at the framing issue. So the combination of missing closing by over 3 months, no communication on what is going on and the oversight on the trusses in the first place in negligence on the side of the company that has caused financial hardship as well as uneeded stress on my family.

What specific question(s) can I assist with?