Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Qualified attorney in private practice including business, family, criminal, and real estate issues.
7286322

My father died in April and my brother and I are appointed

Customer Question

My father died in April and my brother and I are appointed as tustees. My father still wes on his home and neither me or my brother want the house. What are our options?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Ely replied 4 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

I am sorry to hear about your loss. When you say "appointed as trustees," I am going to assume you were appointed as "Executors/Administrators." Also, I am going to assume that your father had NO WILL. If these assumptions are incorrect, please reply and let me know.

If he had no Will, then his estate goes to the following family members HERE by default (scroll down to Who Gets What in Indiana). If that means the two of you per the chart, that means that you have the discretion of what to do with the home. You can SELL it and keep the proceeds, for example.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how experts get credit for our time. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars (or failing to submit the rating) does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith with a positive rating.