Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed attorney practicing landlord-tenant, land use and other real estate law and litigation.

I recently sold my camp, a mobile trailer in the Adirondack

Customer Question

I recently sold my camp, a mobile trailer in the Adirondack mountains in NY state. It was built in the 1960's before a title was needed.
My question is this: The landlord of the park owns the land. I only owned the trailer. She is now charging a fee of 10 percent for selling the trailer. Is this legal? She says it was sold on her land so there is a fee.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 3 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
No, unless there was a written contract between you and the landowner that she would be entitled to some fee upon sale, she has NO LEGAL RIGHT TO DEMAND SUCH A FEE, she is wrong if she thinks that just because it was on her land she somehow is entitled to 10% (even an agent who sells real estate only gets 7% and they work for that). You need to inform her that if she produces some written contract stating you owe that money to her then you will honor that contract, but absent that she has no legal right to any money from the sale.