Barrister, Lawyer
Experience:  16 years real estate, Realtor. Landlord 26 years
19958803

This question is lawyer in New York State who deals with

Customer Question

This question is for a lawyer in New York State who deals with real estate/land purchases. I am purchasing land from a relative. Can we just do a simple purchase agreement to buy the land or do we have to have a lawyer? Also, once the sale is completed what do we have to do to officially transfer the land to my name so I then assume responsiblity and the tax liability?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 10 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question.

.

I don't believe we have any NY attorneys on the site right now, but I can answer your question for you as the outcome is not specifically determined by NY law, but rather general property law concepts..

.

If you would prefer to wait, just let me know and I will opt out..

.

.

thanks

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Sorry for the delayed response. Please go ahead and work on the answer, as long as there will not be any additional charges.

No worries..

.

Can we just do a simple purchase agreement to buy the land or do we have to have a lawyer?

.

Yes, no attorney is necessary and you can just use any written real estate purchase agreement. You can find one in any local office supply store or can download one from a site like USLegalforms.com for a minimal charge. Once both parties sign, it is an entirely legally binding contract.

.

Also, once the sale is completed what do we have to do to officially transfer the land to my name so I then assume responsiblity and the tax liability?

.

This is where you need a local real estate attorney or title/closing company to draft up the deed for you. It is the deed that conveys ownership and it must be done exactly or it can result in a defective deed. I would suggest a local title or closing company as they will be faster and cheaper, probably $100-150, and they can help get it signed, notarized, and recorded for a small additional fee.

.

.

thanks