CalAttorney2, Lawyer
Experience:  I am a civil litigation attorney with experience representing HOAs, homeowners, businesses and others in real estate matters.

I collect ssi and have $60,000.00 in a special needs pool

Customer Question

I collect ssi and have $60,000.00 in a special needs pool trust am i able to purchase a $40,000 condo outright in the state of pa?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 3 months ago.

SSI Does not count the home you live in as a resource for SSI Purposes.

I do recommend contacting a local estate attorney prior to making an investment of this amount to discuss any repercussions outside of a simple exclusion (SSI is a very tricky matter to navigate as I am sure you have already found), and many attorneys that advise clients with this matter try to do so prospectively - doing so in such a way that tries to protect their clients against potential changes in regulations in the future (especially with things such as purchases of real property that can be difficult to change).

But currently, ownership of a primary residence is not counted against resources for SSI (see the above SSA resource exclusion notice for 2016).

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
My real concerns a condo is altho a "a primary home" from what it is composed of stock/stocks does is this ok with elder law, special needs pool trust? Also what about my food stamp benefits? Am I still elgible for snap. Please Help Im a nervious wreck! Thanks

Dear Customer, PA recently eliminated the SNAP asset test:

I still recommend you speak to a local attorney though. The best I can offer you here is a quick "general information" statement about what is and is not disqualifying right now. This does not help you plan, and it does not help you discuss other options (such as placing a home in a special needs trust - you are currently using a pooled trust, is it worth converting to a traditional special needs trust).

You are planning on making a $40,000.00 investment, I would recommend investing a small amount of money to speak to a local attorney to help plan your benefits use. (Many attorneys give free or reduced cost consultations).

You can find local attorneys using the State and local Bar Association directories, or private directories such as;; or (I personally find to be the most user friendly).