Barrister, Lawyer
Experience:  16 years real estate, Realtor. Landlord 26 years
19958803

My wife is not speeking to me right now, but I want to buy a

Customer Question

Hi. My name is***** wife is not speeking to me right now, but I want to buy a home. What form do I need her to sign to give up any rights to the property in case of a divorce?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 6 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question.

She would need to sign a quitclaim deed back over to you immediately after you closed on the purchase of the home or would need to sign a written disclaimer where she agrees to waive any interest in the home now and forever and then you would just have the deed put solely in your name.

.

The quitclaim is a standard form you can download from a site like USLegalforms.com, but if you wanted to go the written disclaimer route, that is something that you would need to either draft up yourself or have a local divorce attorney prepare for you as that isn't a standard "template" type of thing and varies depending on the facts of the situation.

.

thanks

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I thank you for that information. Can I find a quitclaim form on legalzoom.com?

You are very welcome. And probably, but they want to prepare it for you on LegalZoom and charge you extra. If you go to USLegalforms.com, you can just buy the template and complete it yourself for $20 or so...

.

.

thanks

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thank you for that sir! One last question. Are text messages for my wife (as far as stop paying her bill, dont come here and a divorce agreement) alllowed in court?

Very welcome...

.

I am not sure what you would be trying to use those as evidence for, but yes, any type of evidence is admissible. The judge just determines how much weight to give it.

..

.

thanks