WiseOwl58
WiseOwl58, Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced real estate lawyer and real estate broker.
62735101

I am splitting with my partner of 8 years. we own a home

Customer Question

I am splitting with my partner of 8 years. we own a home together 60/40 and he is buying me out. The buyout will still take another few weeks but he wants me out of the house and is threatening me. What are my rights since I still legally own the home?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  WiseOwl58 replied 4 months ago.

Under California law, he has no right to request you to leave the house. In other words, you have every legal right to be there and to have "quiet enjoyment" of your property, meaning he can't interfere with your use of the house I would tell him that he should leave if he feels a need to be separated, but you plan to stay until your sale of your portion closes.

Please rate 4 or 5 and close out the question Good luck to you. I wish you all the best.

Please rate 4 or 5 and close out the question. Good luck to you. I wish you all the best.