Ray, Lawyer
Experience:  Texas Attorney for 30 years dealing in real estate
8534270

State of Ohio My husband and I are on the title/deed of our

Customer Question

State of OhioMy husband and I are on the title/deed of our home located in North Ridgeville, Ohio. He passed away on May 2, 2016. What is the best way to remove his name from our home? We have no children and none by previous marriages. He did not have a will.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Ray replied 4 months ago.

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.

You will need a local lawyer to make application for probate.His share passes under the Ohio laws of intestacy.The court supervises probate which includes paying any creditor claims, taxes, etc.The Court names the legal heirs and their shares.Expect the process to take about a year here start to finish.There is no way around probate here.You file where the property is located.

Lawyer referral

http://lawyers.findlaw.com/lawyer/firm/wills/north-ridgeville/ohio

If you are the sole legal heir the person appointed administrator deeds the spouse's share to you by fiduciary deed, this may amount ot you deeding it to yourself, lawyer will prepare this.

I appreciate the chance to help you today.I am so sorry for your loss of loved one.