RealEstateAnswer, Lawyer
Experience:  9+ years in handling Leases, Landlord-Tenant, Foreclosures,Mortgages, and Eviction cases

I am a renter. Our lease was up on 6/15/16. The management

Customer Question

I am a renter. Our lease was up on 6/15/16. The management company said the owner wanted to communicate directly regarding the new lease. The owner told us he wanted to enter into a new lease, but wanted to hire a new management company. He said he would call us when a new company was hired and he would tell us where to send our payment on July 1st. He communicated a few times but never provided that information. Around July 1st we were told he may want to sell the property but he would get back and let us know. We have never heard from him. We been never formally notified that we need to leave but because we cannot get the owner to return our calls and we no longer have a lease, we have made the assumption that we need to move. We did not pay for July because we were never told where to send the payment despite MANY phone calls. We are now moving this weekend. They have a deposit on file of $1600. For the 17 days in July that we have occupied the property, and for the electricity used through July 17, we should owe them about $1050. The question is do we just leave a message for the owner that we are gone and leave the keys in the house? Do we contact the old management company? There is no one to do a final walk through or refund the remainder of the security deposit. We just want to know how to handle things so we are covered. Thanks.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  RealEstateAnswer replied 3 months ago.

Good morning. Once the lease ended, you became a month to month tenant. The obligation to pay rent would remain and would need to be paid through the end of the month, along with giving proper notice to the landlord, to terminate the month to month agreement. As such, a 7 day notice would need to be given. If you paid rent on the 15th of each month, you would need to give notice at least 7 days prior. At this point, you can call/email the owner and advise in writing, that you are vacating. As them where they want you to send or leave the keys and advise them you also want to do an inspection. Their decision to use a new company is at their discretion and if they have not found one, they need to answer and respond to you. You also need to provide them with a new address, so they can forward your deposit, less any deductions.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I understand that we SHOULD have paid the rent on July 1st, but the owner told us he let go the management company and therefore would need to provide us an address to mail the July payment. He said he would call us back with the address (because he is also in the middle of a move) and he never called us back. He never provided that address so we have no where to make the payment or mail a notice advising them that we were leaving. That is why we did not pay. We still don't know where we would send the money.

Just to be clear, you have no address or email for the owner. Just a phone number?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.

At this point, you would need to call him and leave a message and send a text message, if possible and advise that you are vacating on ________ day and need to know where to send the key and who the make the final rent payment to. If he instructed you previously to not use or contact the old management company and deal directly with him, then you need to comply. However, if the issue is just with the key, you can send it to the management company and they can forward it to him, along with a check, since they have his address on file and have a legal obligation to forward it to him, if they are not handling the property.

I just wanted to follow up and see if there is anything else I can answer or clarify. I am here to help so please just let me know.