Samuel-II, Lawyer
Experience:  real estate law

My current lease is done August 31 and the lease says I have

Customer Question

My current lease is done August 31 and the lease says I have to give 45 days notice. On July 7, my job was moved from Ft Worth to Maryland. On July 11 my landlord got my letter saying I was moving and would be out of house by July15--I have to start work July 18. The landlord is being ridiculous about it and about an hour ago said that I had to leave the premise by 12 Thursday, 7/14 and if I came on the premise, she would have me arrested. It is all over some bushes in the front of the house that were the neighbor cat poop station and had hornets. I put in very nice plants, she said I had to replace them with similar plants-she did not specifically that it had to be the same plant.
She evicted me--do I have to pay the final rental payment. She said she would not return the rent nor the deposit even if she rented it and they take position before Sept 1
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Samuel-II replied 3 months ago.

Hello Ann

If you provided the LL with the proper Notice as required in your lease, then you can sue her for the wrongful eviction. She cannot make you leave before the lease without cause and providing the proper Notice is not cause. Obviously, at some point you are going to need to sue her for the security deposit.

Did she put in writing that she wanted you out by noon today? Or was that verbal?

Writing will be more beneficial, but you can still sue her for the deposit. As to not paying the last month's rent - were you going to pay through Aug 31 even though you were moving out on July 15?