Ray, Lawyer
Experience:  Texas Attorney for 30 years dealing in real estate

I have a life estate deed. My question is how am I protected

Customer Question

I have a life estate deed. My question is how am I protected and what responsibilities do I have. And can the remainder come on the property without my consent? And can the remainder place her guest in the guest house on the property without my consent? As a life tenant do I have to pay property taxes? As a life tenant do I have the right to choose my own insurance company?
Thank you Barbara Stamps
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Ray replied 3 months ago.

Hi and welcome to JA, Barbara. Ray here to help you today.

The remainder has no right to access the property or do anything to it until you decease or relocate here.California only gives them contingent rights that vest only upon your death.Any trespass onto the property should be reported to the police.You do have right here to to pay property taxes and insure your life interest here.

You would have to insure and pay taxes as life tenant.You would have option to vacate and quit claim if you need to leave.But that is strictly your option here.

I appreciate the chance to help you today.

Expert:  Ray replied 3 months ago.

A life tenant has the right to live on the property until death, the Lawyers website states; even if her relationship with the remainderman turns sour, he has no authority to evict her, even though he holds title. The life tenant is responsible for paying taxes and maintenance, can take in roommates or boarders and redecorate or remodel provided it doesn't devalue the property.