Erin Blohm
Erin Blohm,
Experience:  ATTORNEY at JOHNSON HANAN & VOSLER
95169360

How do I find court records?

Customer Question

How do I find court records for free?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Erin Blohm replied 4 months ago.

Most states have websites with free access to court proceedings/ records. For instance, Oklahoma provides oscn.net. Iowa provides iowacourts.state.ia.us. So, depending on which state you are hoping to access records from, you should be able to find the state's website. If you are looking for more general court information in the form of cases and caselaw, Cornell's law school has a very useful website that has a multitude of caselaw and statutes--federal and individual states.

Best of luck to you. If you do not require additional assistance, please rate my service. Also, kindly note, this is not legal advice and does not create an attorney-client relationship/ privilege and may not be applicable in all situations and/ or jurisdictions.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I can see the sentences and etc including prison time, etc?

Iowa offers access at iowacourts.state.ia.us, but there is a fee associated with registration. http://www.brbpub.com/iowa-public-records/ offers a variety of searches of public records, as well. Depending on what you are attempting to find, you can also try to use https://www.justia.com/criminal. What information you will be able to find depends on the jurisdiction and the type of information. For instance, a lot of divorce orders are sealed and not accessible unless you go to the courthouse in-person and petition for release of the record. Similarly, juvenile records and often criminal sentencing work the same way. There are a multitude of services that will provide you with that information for a fee though--usually $15 or so.