Asad Rahman
Asad Rahman, Lawyer
Experience:  Practicing Attorney with 10 years experience
91018665

I'm not sure if you're the correct lawyer. If not can you

Customer Question

Hello...I'm not sure if you're the correct lawyer. If not can you direct me to the correct lawyer please? In 2013 my younger sister decided to accept a permanent position in Japan leaving behind her 2005 car that was already paid off. After accepting the position she texted me saying that I can have the car because I didn't have a car at the time. I offered to pay her for the car and she turned the money down. My older sister is the co signer for that car and she told me that I could keep the car in her name and on her insurance and just pay her $100 a month for the insurance...I've been doing that for 3 yrs now. Now my younger sister is home from Japan for the summer and she wants to take the car from me. Can she take the car back if I have text from her telling me that I can have the car and she don't want any money from me for the car?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Asad Rahman replied 4 months ago.

I am sorry to hear this. I think your text messages are strong evidence that she intended it either as a gift or transfer of the property. Now, you should have transferred title to the car but I still think in court your text messages would be sufficient. Furthermore, the payments you made to your older sister also show intent on your part.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Can she call the police and say that I stole the car? And if she's no longer willing to sign the title over can my older sister sign alone to switch the title?

I think if she notified the police you could show them your text messages and they would view this as a civil issue not criminal. If your older sister has title then she can only transfer her half of the ownership. Just co-signing on the loan does not necessarily give her title. The person who has registered title to the vehicle has the right to sell or transfer.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I asked her did she forget that she gave me the car in 2013 and now that she's upset with my response she wants the car back or I pay her $2500. Do I have to pay her?

It might simplify the dispute but I think your text messages are strong evidence that she transferred title to you.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I'd rather text because you said that I can show this to the police...Thank
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thanks
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
OK so you're saying eventhough I never transferred the title I still have the text that she said I can have the car...Am i entitled to the car? How do I get the titles changed if both sisters name is ***** ***** titles and one doesn't want to sign because she's upset

You would have to sue to get your noncooperating sister to transfer title.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
While going through the process of sueing her do I still get to keep the car or do I have to give I back to her. I've been paying my older sister the insurance money and renewing the decal every year since 2012 because the tag is registered under my older sisters birthday and the car is on my older sisters car insurance

You can keep it while the suit goes through.

Let me know if you have any additional questions otherwise a positive rating would be greatly appreciated as we are only paid if we receive a rating of 3 or higher.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
When I entered my credit card they said the fee was $5 and $31 = $36
So why am I being charged $5 and $49 = $54???

I'm not sure. Perhaps because you had several follow up questions. You would need to contact customer service.