Richard, Lawyer
Experience:  32 years of experience as lawyer in Texas. I'm also a Real Estate developer.

My son has built a house on land that I own. He has five

Customer Question

My son has built a house on land that I own. He has five children, but has divorced and
remarried. How can I transfer the property to him without jeopardizing the property
passing to his children instead of his new wife if something should happen to him?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Richard replied 3 months ago.

Hi Frank. My name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today! It will take me just a few minutes to type a response to your question. Thanks for your patience!

Expert:  Richard replied 3 months ago.

You can handle this a couple of ways: i) You can set up a trust and transfer the property to the trust with the trust being for the benefit of your son for his life and then to his children upon his death. Or, ii) you can give your son a life estate in the property which terminates upon his death with the remainder interest going to his children upon his death. Either way, it keeps your son's new wife from gaining any control over the property.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow up questions, please ask! If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service as OK, Good or Excellent (hopefully Good or Excellent). Otherwise, I receive no credit for assisting you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!