RealEstateAnswer, Lawyer
Experience:  9+ years in handling Leases, Landlord-Tenant, Foreclosures,Mortgages, and Eviction cases

Im in Texas, I own a house and have a roommate/ tenant

Customer Question

Hi, Im in Texas, I own a house and have a roommate/ tenant leaving in with me. I gave her 2 weeks to moved out because they are not paying her part of the contract. They keep lingering and running a high utility bill. I disconnected the water because I can not keep paying it anymore. My income is very limited. Now she is saying she is going to sue me because she has cancer and i disconnected the water. Can she sue me??... in the mean time, she still in my house, running my electric bill out of the wall and not paying a penny. She is someone who pay me some rent at first, but in the last 2 months has not paid for anything.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  RealEstateAnswer replied 3 months ago.

What do you use if the water was turned off then? You shared that you live in the home also?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I came with my parents few houses down

Thank you for the reply. I am sorry to say but she could sue you. I say this because a landlord/owner can not use self help to evict a tenant. By self help, I mean taking action to essentially force the tenant out, like changing the lock or in this case, turning off the water and/or utilities. If you want her out, you need to proceed through the court and evict and can sue her for unpaid rent and get the court to sign an order, requiring her to vacate. If she fails to leave on her own, then the Sheriff can physically remove her. At this point, the water needs to be turned back on and when you evict, sue to recover these costs.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Can she go and connect the water herself? that way I wont hasve to pay anymore. I can not afford it. I can stay in my parents house. Would that be legal?

She could, depending on what the city requires. They may want and need to see a lease agreement or document to evidence she resides there and is responsible. If so, you can advise her of the same and provide her what she needs to do this but it does need to be corrected.

Hi, are you still with me?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I will contact you again with more questions. She said to give her until the 18th. She will be leaving then.

Thank you and I will be happy to answer them. If you have not already, I just kindly ask that you rate my help, so the site gives me credit. You can always come back and ask follow up questions as needed.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service at the top of this page, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.