legalgems
legalgems, Arbitrator
Experience:  Just Answer consultant at Self employed
63726236

My landlords are selling the apartment building where I

Customer Question

My landlords are selling the apartment building where I live. I have to give the real estate company handling the sale a key to my apartment. I hate this idea because I don't like strangers in my house invading my privacy, and possibly stealing my stuff. Do real estate people have the right to come and go as they please in my apartment? This has caused many anxiety attacks. Do Inhave the right to ask that I be present when they are showing? I live in PA. Thank you.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  legalgems replied 5 months ago.

Is there anything in the lease stating that a realtor (as opposed to the landlord) has the right to show the property without the tenant's presence?

If the lease does not specifically address this, then the tenant is only obligated to allow the landlord entry to show the premises. The tenant must allow the landlord entry after reasonable notice has been provided. PA statutes are silent as to what constitutes reasonable notice, but generally 24-48 hours advance notice is deemed reasonable; so for example, the landlord must state the date and time of the appointment - it cannot be an open ended request.

There is no statutory requirement that a tenant allow a third party such as a realtor entry-rather they can insist that the landlord be present. Consent cannot be unreasonably withheld and most courts consider it reasonable to require the landlord's presence.

Further questions? Please post here to continue the chat.

Satisfied? Kindly rate positively so I receive credit for assisting you.

(no additional charges are incurred).

Information provided is for educational purposes only. Consultation with a personal attorney is always recommended so your particular facts may be considered. Thank you and take care.

Expert:  legalgems replied 4 months ago.

Checking in on the above;

thank you for using Just Answer!