Irwin Law
Irwin Law, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer- Broker 30+years - foreclosure, short sale, liens, title attorney.

When a property is signed over to a mortgage company to

Customer Question

when a property is signed over to a mortgage company to satisfy the mortgage.
is the amount of the mortgage considered a sale of the property. and is the difference between the mortgage and the cost of the property considered a taxable gain.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Irwin Law replied 3 months ago.

It could be a taxable capital gain; however, the IRS may call it ordinary income as debt forgiveness. IOW, you have borrowed out the equity and the lender is accepting the property in full satisfaction of the debt. It is not a sale per se and is more likely to be viewed as debt forgiveness. You will have to have that narrow distinction researched by a CPA.

I hope that you will enter a positive rating for my assistance here by clicking on 3, 4, or 5. There is no additional cost to you. Thanks again for using JUST ANSWER.