Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  JA Mentor

I rented small 2 room apartment to a mother and her son, her

Customer Question

I rented small 2 room apartment to a mother and her young son , her husband moved I . They falsity stated on the lease that 4 people could live there. They filled this in them self's . they scattered junk all over the yard And spoke harshly to my son when asked to pick it up. Then called me a bitch. My attorney says by the lease they only have 3 more weeks to live there . the lease is up july 31 They have also lied to the power board on whose name they put the electric in. We have given them 2 notices to move, but it is my under standing July31 is it. I have not collected July's rent, .What rights do I have I live in al
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 3 months ago.

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear about your situation.

You do have a right to terminate the lease and sue for eviction if your tenants have not yet paid July's rent. The problem is, by the time you are able to get a hearing date, it will be past August 1 and they should have moved due to the lease termination. Unfortunately, a lot of tenants choose not to pay their last month's rent for this reason. They know landlords don't have time to evict them. If they do not clean up when they move, you will be able to apply any security deposit you have to the unpaid July's rent, and you can sue them for the cost of any necessary repairs or removing junk they leave behind. Just keep all your receipts and make sure you have pictures of everything, showing how they left the place. A good way to do that is to buy a copy of the current days newspaper and put the front page in your pictures or video, so you can prove that the pictures/video were taken on that specific date.

Free speech unfortunately allows them to call you names as long as they don't make a specific threat, but you can choose not to interact verbally with people who would talk to you like that and instead communicate via letter or email. One way to avoid the issue with the junk in the future is to put a clause in your lease that says they must maintain the yard and keep it neat. If that's not there, you could serve a 3 day notice to evict them - but that takes us back to the original problem. You won't get a hearing before July 31. The same is true of the extra people on the lease, but at least you can sue if they damage the property before they leave.

If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.

Did you have any other questions about this?