socallegalwork
socallegalwork, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney and licensed real estate broker (and Certified Distressed Property Expert), specializing in real estate matters.
63833317

My mother just informed me that someone has supposedly

Customer Question

My mother just informed me that someone has supposedly bought the next block which is fenced in and her house is next to it but she was unaware when she started purchasing the house with the land that is fenced in. No one has produced any paperwork nor did she sign any contract. What can she do about it?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  socallegalwork replied 5 months ago.

Hello. I may be able to assist you.

Just so I am clear, when your mother purchased her house she was under the impression that the purchase included the fenced in adjacent lot? Now another party has apparently, or is claiming to have, bought that fenced in lot?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
That's correct !
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
We talked earlier and she said someone came by asking her to move her vehicle and she told them not to come back and she will not move anything unless they produce paperwork pertaining to the claim.

When she first purchased the house, did it go through any form of escrow? Was there any form of title search? Does she still have that documentation? It sounds like she doesn't not have (maybe was never given any such materials).

The first step is to find out exactly what she owns (if she doesn't own the adjoining land and was misled when she purchased her house, then she can perhaps legally pursue the participants in that transaction - the seller, any brokers, etc. - for fraud and other causes of action).

She should be able to confirm what exactly it is she owns through the local county recorder office.