Attyadvisor
Attyadvisor, Attorney
Experience:  28 years of experience in General Practice, Real Estate Law and Estate Law.
68197583

I own a. 1 of my tenants had company over, and they broke a

Customer Question

I own a triplex. 1 of my tenants had company over, and they broke a window and ripped the fence door off the hinges. The cops were called. I got the case #***** What are my options to get the property fixed. I didn't want to go through my Home Owners Insurance. I feel the Individual or the Tenant need to be made responsible.
What are my options?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Attyadvisor replied 4 months ago.

Welcome to JA and thank you for your question. Hopefully your lease states that the tenant is responsible for the actions of their guests. Do you require renters to have insurance to cover their rental? There is no question that the tenant is responsible for the action of the guests as well as the guest damaging your private property.

You can charge the tenants or you can sue the tenants in court. Can you tell me the amount it will cost to replace what the guests damaged?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I am sure the renter does not have renters ins.
Can't I sue the person who did the destruction???????
Damage probably $800 +

Yes you can sue both the tenant and the guests since the tenants invited them. Where in Washington are you located so I can provide a link for local attorneys that provide FREE consultations?

This is the law against the tenant

RCW 59.18.160

Landlord's remedies if tenant fails to remedy defective condition.

If, after receipt of written notice, as provided in RCW 59.18.170, the tenant fails to remedy the defective condition within a reasonable time, the landlord may:

(1) Bring an action in an appropriate court, or at arbitration if so agreed for any remedy provided under this chapter or otherwise provided by law; or

(2) Pursue other remedies available under this chapter.

This is a link for all of the Landlord Tenant Laws http://apps.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=59.18

You can sue for up to $6,000 in small claims http://www.atg.wa.gov/small-claims-court-0

In the future you may wish to require tenants to have insurance and to add you as additional insured.

Would you like a link for local attorneys that provide FREE consultations?

Please do not hesitate to ask me any additional questions that you may have with regard to this matter. It would be my pleasure to continue to assist you.

Thank you for using JA! We appreciate your business. If you would be kind enough to rate my service positively so I will receive credit for my work I would appreciate it.

The site does not credit the Attorney for their work unless the customer provides a positive rating. Thank you for your consideration.

Did you have any additional questions for me?