Loren, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years of real estate practice experience.
17897874

Tenant of 6 years who was paying rent quit job live in

Customer Question

Tenant of 6 years who was paying rent quit job live in boyfriend has been paying rent and utilities with his company's name for almost 3 yrs both him and her signs the checks. can that constitute an agreement that he is tenant month to month no lease can I sue him for two months late rent and they moved out without proper notice he said he's not responsible because he doesn't have a lease. Would do me no good to go after her she has no money no job but he has a good business. I need to know if I have a good chance of sueing him not her please help thanks Helen in Texas
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Loren replied 4 months ago.

Good afternoon Helen. I am Loren, a licensed attorney, and I look forward to assisting you.

If they were both living there, and there was no written lease in effect, then they are both month to month tenants.

You can sue him as a tenant of the house and he is responsible for rent and damage to the property.

Expert:  Loren replied 4 months ago.

Are you online with me?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thank you he actually said he had no money and I made him mad because I asked for all the rent due I meant to say his action tells me he thinks he's not responsible because he has no lease sorry about that I retread my question
Expert:  Loren replied 4 months ago.

Is there a written lease in effect or were they both month to month tenants?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
2 yr lease with her expired then he moved in about a yr later
Expert:  Loren replied 4 months ago.

If there was no written lease in effect then he and she were both month to month tenants and he is as liable for the rent and damages as she is.

Expert:  Loren replied 4 months ago.

Are you still online with me?

Expert:  Loren replied 4 months ago.

If you have no further questions, and have not yet done so, please remember to leave a favorable rating (Excellent or Good) so that I am credited by JustAnswer for assisting you. A bonus is not required, but is always appreciated.