Irwin Law
Irwin Law, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer- Broker 30+years - foreclosure, short sale, liens, title attorney.

I live in South Carolina and Own a mobile Home. My

Customer Question

I live in South Carolina and Own a mobile Home. My ex-girlfriend moved in with me 9 months ago. We have since broken up but she refuses to move out. The house is in my name, all the utilities are in my name and she has not worked since she moved in so I have paid all the bills. How do I get her to legally move out.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Irwin Law replied 3 months ago.

What you have is a house guest who has overstayed their welcome. There is very little law concerning this situation. Many people might take the bull by the horns and simply change the locks and put that person's property out on the porch. That risks the person claiming that they have a rental agreement and have been unlawfully evicted. You can end up in court over that. A frequent suggestion is to send that person a written notice to vacate by a certain date and time. The notice would state that their failure to do so will result in them No longer having access to the home for either themselves or their personal property. Then, have a good lawyer standing by.

Please don't forget to enter a rating by clicking on one of the five boxes at the top of this reply. We are not employees of Just Answer, and only receive credit for assisting you when the rating is positive.