MIAMILAW1127
MIAMILAW1127, Lawyer
Experience:  Founding Partner at Moises Law, P.A.
89829185

I have also signed a lease w/ solar city panels. Aside from

Customer Question

I have also signed a lease w/ solar city for solar panels. Aside from not being informed of an escalating cost per year, I'm indifferent of the performance of the panels and their costs. I was relatively confident I knew what I was agreeing to. During the "sale" process, I was assured that transferring the agreement should I decide to sell my house would not be a problem and that they "do it all the time." That has definitely turned out to be untrue because I have failed thus far to sell my house and every interested buyer's reasoning for not purchasing is "the solar agreement." What are my options here aside form simply paying and owning the panels outright? I don't see anything in the contract that says I actually have to keep the system turned on, in which case there is no cost. Any/all advice would be greatly appreciated.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  MIAMILAW1127 replied 4 months ago.

Hello. Thank you for contacting me. I am a consultant here and I am looking forward to assisting you with your question. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Please be patient as I will be typing my responses to you from scratch. Also, I can only answer/address the questions you ask specifically based on the information your provide. Please try to provide as much information as possible so I can best assist you.

Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

Without being able to see the agreement for myself, the only options it seems you would have would be to buy out the solar panels or breach the agreement. You should look to see if there is an assignability clause in the agreement allowing you to transfer the agreement.

Unfortunately, nothing the sales person told you can be proved unless it was told to you in writing. If it was, then you could argue that those became terms of the contract and you could take the actions you desire. However, if these were just verbal promises that the salesperson made to you, it will be difficult to argue that they even exist even though you relied on them in entering into the contract.

I hope this helps. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Thank you.