P. Simmons, Lawyer
Experience:  12+ yrs. of experience including real estate law.

My daughter signed a lease 2016 to July 2017. She has not

Customer Question

My daughter signed a lease for Aug 2016 to July 2017. She has not started her lease can she withdrew from this lease.
JA: OK. The Real Estate Lawyer will need to help you with this.
Customer: Okay.
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: No.
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: My daughter is a student, and she is transferring to another school. 25 miles where the apt is at.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Real Estate Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 3 months ago.

Hello! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney with more than 18 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help

Also, if you would like to chat on the phone, let me know and I can make that happen.

I am sorry for this dilemma. If she signed the lease? Then the lease can be enforced. She can not just "withdraw" without permission. If she were to do so, she could be sued for breach of contract.

She may want to consider negotiating with the landlord to see if she can "buy out" the contract...if she can reach agreement with the landlord to pay to have the lease cancelled she can avoid a potential suit

This is the part of my job I don't like...when the law is not in favor of my customer. I wish I could tell you that she can simply withdraw from the lease, but I can only provide you information based on the law so that you can act on the best available information to you...I wish I had better news, but can only hope you recognize and understand my predicament and don't shoot the messenger. I'm sorry!

Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help if I can. Otherwise, please rate the answer so I may get credit for my work.