Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed attorney practicing landlord-tenant, land use and other real estate law and litigation.

My neighbor's house caught fire and completely destroyed my

Customer Question

My neighbor's house caught fire and completely destroyed my home at the Lake of Ozarks, MO on Feb. 8, 2016. We had no insurance because the home was being renovated and rehabbed. Is there anything we can do? We have necessary duplicate receipts since the originals were destroyed. Any advice?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 3 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
If you can prove your neighbor's house caught fire and caused fire to your home then you would need to pursue the neighbor and their insurance for the damage caused by his home. If you cannot get information from the law firm you contacted, you need to contact a new one, because if they are not communicating with you now it will only get worse if you hire them.
If the original receipts were destroyed, you can still use the duplicates and can even get the receipts verified by the parties who issued them, so they can still be evidence of the value of your damage.