Barrister, Lawyer
Experience:  15 years real estate, Realtor. Landlord 26 years
19958803

I unknowingly left an FPL power account open after moving

Customer Question

I unknowingly left an FPL power account open after moving from a warehouse bay in Oakland Park, Florida, resulting in me paying nearly $600 for another tenants bill. I had originally rented the bay next to this one, and had transferred after only a week. Power was opened for the first, and transferred to a second that was never associated with other accounts under my FPL login, where it continued to be charged for 8 months after I left the property.Because it was no associated with my FPL login as I have multiple accounts there, so I was unaware this was happening.Questions:
If the power company is going to take money from my account, do they have any obligation to associate any account opened under my social security number to my login?Does the landlord have any responsibility to take the account back once my lease ended and I have left the property?I believe my lease stated that the tenant would need to open their own FPL account. Any recourse?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 5 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply,but rest assured, I am working on your question.

.

If the power company is going to take money from my account, do they have any obligation to associate any account opened under my social security number to my login?

.

This would be a matter of the company's internal policy regarding "cross collateralization" of accounts. It would also depend on whether you have to tell them to associate any accounts under one umbrella account so everything shows up one one log in page..

.

Does the landlord have any responsibility to take the account back once my lease ended and I have left the property?

.

No, it is up to you to terminate or transfer service.

.

I believe my lease stated that the tenant would need to open their own FPL account. Any recourse?

.

If you accidentally left the account open and didn't close it, then your recourse here is to sue the tenant who benefited from using your account for the bill that you are being charged for under the legal doctrine of "unjust enrichment". This is a doctrine that basically says that if someone receives a benefit they aren't entitled to, that they have to pay for it.

.

So you can get reimbursed, you will just have to sue the tenant if they won't voluntarily pay you back.

.

.

thanks