Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Qualified attorney in private practice including business, family, criminal, and real estate issues.

I have a utility easement question. I recently purchased a

Customer Question

I have a utility easement question. I recently purchased a 17 year-old home. It had a waterfall fountain and a flagstone patio that encroached the utility easement. I applied to my HOA to install a SPA/Hot tub installed at the opposite side of my property, it was denied. Denial was due to restricted utility easement. Neighbors on each side have swimming pools that are located on the utility easement. All utilities with the exception of gas are located in the front of the property. The SPA would be located at least five feet from the gas line. The covenant stated that the easement would remain in effect for at least 10 years. What procedure do I use to get the utility easement amended or removed since it appears my various neighbors have avoided this issue?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Ely replied 3 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

I am sorry to hear about this situation. An owner who wants to modify/remove the easement if it no longer makes sense to have it or the property has changed so much that having the easement is pointless, burdensome, or otherwise not equitable, then that owner has to file what is known as a PETITION TO QUIET TITLE under Texas Property Code.

This kind of lawsuit asks the Court to void the easement for the reasons listed above. Unfortunately, it is up to you to file such a lawsuit, meaning the onus is on your to act. Then, the Court will make the final decision.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how experts get credit for our time. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars (or failing to submit the rating) does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith with a positive rating.